In the past weeks, I was able to progress by co-authoring a paper with Jane Greenberg, Peter Logan and Joan Boone. We’re able to submit the paper entitled “SKOS of the 1910 Library of Congress Subject Heading for the Transformation of the Keywords to Controlled Vocabulary of the Nineteenth-Century Encyclopedia Britannica” to NKOS 2019 which will be held in Dublin Core Conference 2019 in South Korea on Sept 23 -26, 2019. We couldn’t wait the acceptance of the paper hoping that this research has a novelty in the field of Simple Knowledge Organization Systems (SKOS).
- Digitized format of 1910 LCHS is converted to text format to help in the manipulation of texts and words. This has been done already by Peter. The 1910 LCSH in digitized format which was made available by Google under the HathiTrust project is composed of 2 volumes. In the text format (.docx), volume 1 is composed of 363 pages and volume 2 has 379 pages.
- Vocabularies are assessed to identify the structures and relationships of the vocabularies in 1910 LCHS and be able to be mapped to the elements and syntax of the SKOS vocabulary. These elements and syntax have integrity conditions that are used as a guideline for best practices in constructing SKOS vocabularies.
- Processes, methods and methodology are documented and tested for reproducibility and replication purposes. The project will run for 10 weeks and it’s challenging to be able to complete the SKOS-ination of the entire 2 volumes of the 1910 LCHS. However, if the processes, tools, techniques and guides are available, the project could be continued and knowledge could be transferred to completely finish the SKOS of the 1910 LCHS.
- Tools to be used in building the SKOS of the 1910 LCHS and in automating its creation processes, are seen to be one of the vital output of this endeavor.
- Frazier, P. (2015, August 11). SKOS: A Guide for Information Professionals. Retrieved July 9, 2019, from http://www.ala.org/alcts/resources/z687/skos. Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, American Library Association
- HathiTrust: Home. (n.d.). Retrieved July 9, 2019, from www.hathitrust.org/. HathiTrust Digital Library
- Logan, P. (n.d.). Nineteenth-Century Knowledge Project. Retrieved July 9, 2019, from tu-plogan.github.io/. Digital Scholarship Center, Temple University
- SKOS Simple Knowledge Organization System – Home Page. (n.d.). Retrieved July 9, 2019, from https://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/. Semantic Web Deployment Working Group, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)