Workshop data/time: March 22, 2017, 1:00-5:30 PM
Location: Hubei Hall 1, Wuhan University
1:00-1:10 PM WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION – Jane Greenberg and Xia Lin, Drexel University (Slides)
1:10-2:00 PM SESSION 1A: DATA SCIENCE EDUCATION IN ISCHOOLS PRESENTATIONS
Presentations (each for 10 minutes including Q&A) – Moderator, Xia Lin
- Chowdhury, G. (Northumbria University, UK). From Information Science to Data Science Education: An iSchools Perspective
- Han W. & Guo, Y. (Nanjing University, China). A Current Situation Analysis of Data Science-related Programs in North American iSchools in the Big Data Age (Paper)(Slides)
- Ortiz-Repiso, V., Greenberg, J., and Calzada, J. (Univ. Carlos III-Madrid, Spain, and Drexel University, USA) A Scan of Data Science, Big Data, and Digital Curation Curriculum in iSchools.
- Lin, X. & Song, I. (Drexel University, USA). Development of a Comprehensive Data Science Curriculum in an iSchool: the Drexel Experience.
- Glushko, R. (University of California, Berkeley, USA) “The Discipline of Organizing” Meets “Data Science” (Paper)(AudioSlides, Slides)
** Open for general questions/remarks
2:00-3:00 PM SESSION 1B: BREAKOUT GROUP DISCUSSION AND REPORT BACK
- Ground rules and guidelines, Jane Greenberg, Xia Lin
2:00-2:40 PM, Breakout group discussion
- What are the core knowledge and skill areas of Data Science taught (or that should be taught) in iSchools?
- What developments or steps are required for iSchools to excel and lead in Data Science?
- Can iSchools collaboratively target opportunities to gain recognition in the data science space? If so, which opportunities, and how?
- Is there a question your group would like to pose to seed Session 2B’s breakout group?
2:40-3:00 PM, Report back
3:00-3:30 PM BREAK
3:30 TO 4:10 PM SESSION 2A: COLLABORATIVE AND INTERDISCIPLINARY NATURE OF IS2DS
Presentations (each for 10 minutes including Q&A) – Moderator, Sam Oh, to.be.confirmed
- Hu, X. et al. (Univ. of Hong Kong). Data Science as an Emerging Discipline: The Roles of iSchools in the Era of Big Data (Paper)(Slides)
- Zhou, X. & Feng, X.(Renmin University of China). Development of Data Science: the Advantages and Challenges of iSchool (Paper)(Slides)
- Wang, L. (Tianjin Normal University, China). Twinning Data Science with Information Science in i-Schools (Paper)(Slides)
- Sugimoto, S. & Li, Chunqiu (University of Tsukuba, Japan). Metadata Issues in Long-term Management of Data and Metadata (Paper)(Slides)
- Han, X. & Zhu, QH. (Nanjing University, China). Unique Contributions and Opportunities of iSchools in Data Science Education (Paper)(Slides)
- Wei, JZ. (Sun Yat-sen University, China). Information Science to Data Science: from the Aspect of Research (Slides)
4:10-4:50 PM SESSION 2B: BREAKOUT GROUP DISCUSSION, REPORT BACK, NEXT STEPS
- Ground rules and guidelines, Virginia Ortiz-Repiso and Shigeo Sugimoto
4:10-4:30 PM, Breakout group discussion
- What are unique contributions and opportunities for iSchools?
- How can we build an iSchool data science community? – Identify action items you would be willing to extend or work on individually or collectively.
4:30-4:50 PM, Report back
4:50-5:30 PM SESSION 3: COLLABORATION, ISCHOOL DATA SCIENCE MANIFESTO, WORKSHOP CLOSURE
- 4:50-5:00 PM Collaboration opportunities/gathering, discuss getting started.
- 5:00-5:15 PM The iSchool data science manifesto (inspiration – Per Hasle, Royal School of Library and Information Science)
- 5:15-5:30 PM Action item review and workshop Closure (Xia/Jane)
Organizing Committee Jane Greenberg, CCI, Drexel University (Co-chair); Xia Lin, CCI, Drexel University (Co-chair); Gobinda Chowdhury, Professor of Information Science, Chair, European iSchools, Department of Computer & Information Sciences, Northumbria University; Sam Oh, Sungkyunkwan University: Library & Information Science and Data Science Department; Virginia Ortiz-Repiso, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid Il-Yeol Song, CCI, Drexel University; Shigeo Sugimoto, University of Tsukuba, Graduate School of Library, Information and Media Studies; Qinghua Zhu, Nanjing University, China